Today I wish to start another Month of Devotional Thought, this time for Poseidon. I had originally thought to do this around the time of the Attic month Poseideon and the Poseideia festival (so in December, most likely), but I wanted to do another one of these Months of Devotional thoughts, and for some reason, I have this intuition that I should do so for Poseidon. So I’m going to follow that intuition and talk about Poseidon this Month. This first post will have the list of topics, later today I shall post the first actual post of the series.
- Write a basic introduction about Poseidon.
- How did you first become aware of Poseidon?
- What are some symbols and icons of Poseidon?
- Share a favourite myth or myths about Poseidon.
- Who are members of Poseidon’s family?
- What are some other related deities and entities associated with Poseidon?
- Discuss Poseidon’s names and epithets.
- Discuss variations on this deity (aspects, regional forms, etc.).
- What are some common mistakes about this deity?
- What are common offerings – historical and UPG?
- Talk about festivals, days, and times sacred to Poseidon.
- What are some places associated with Poseidon and his worship?
- What modern cultural issues — if any— do you believe are closest to Poseidon’s heart?
- How has worship of Poseidon changed in modern times?
- Are there any mundane practices that are associated with Poseidon?
- How do you think Poseidon represents the values of his pantheon and cultural origins?
- How does Poseidon relate to other gods and other pantheons?
- Where does Poseidon stand in terms of gender and sexuality? (historical and/or UPG)
- What quality or qualities of Poseidon do you most admire?
- What quality or qualities of Poseidon do you find the most troubling?
- Share any art that reminds you of Poseidon.
- Share any music that makes you think of Poseidon.
- Share a quote, a poem, or piece of writing that you think this deity resonates strongly with.
- Share your own composition – a piece of writing about or for Poseidon.
- Share a time when Poseidon has helped you.
- Share a time when Poseidon has refused to help.
- How has your relationship with Poseidon changed over time?
- What are the worst misconceptions about Poseidon that you have encountered?
- What is something you wish you knew about Poseidon but don’t currently?
- Do you have any interesting or unusual UPG to share?
- Any suggestions for others just starting to learn about Poseidon?
I hope you will enjoy this new series!